I currently have 16 half-pint jars of apricot syrup cooling on my counter but a few hours ago I had a small kitchen fire blazing in one of my drip pans. Darn me for trying to double a recipe in a not-quite-big-enough pot! Fortunately Justin kept his cool and turned the burner off while I was delicately balancing the still full pot of apricot syrup on the edge of the oven while trying to not get burned by the bubbling water bath next to me. My response to the fire was to keep blowing it out whenever it flared up, all while digging through my cupboard for my baking soda. I knew the fire extinguisher was under the sink but again, I wasn't about to let my picking/pitting/cooking go to waste. Smart man that he is, Justin realized I was panicking and coolly turned the dial off. He's awfully handy to have around in moments like this!
I'm still pretty amped up by the apricot adventure. I failed to add that I attempted this new canning recipe during the evening of one of the hottest days we've had this summer. And there's a new forest fire that's close enough to add the smell of smoke in the air. At least the house already smelled smokey when my fire started :) So I'm sitting here late at night trying to calm down, cool the house off, and care for Mr. P who has a bad cold. I think colds in summer should be illegal. Not to mention it's almost impossible to hear his cries for help above the roaring fans we have in the windows. I just can't win tonight.
This already sleepless night lends itself to helping me catch up on those elusive photos I keep bragging about. JoAnn and George came for a full week about two weeks ago and at the end of every day we were wiped out! The kids went to bed late and it felt like we were constantly on the go. We had a lot of fun adventures with them in spite of not covering our whole to-do list. Maybe next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment